Apollo Bay - A Destination for all Seasons...
Year Round Pleasures
Forget what you think you know about a beach holiday in winter.
Apollo Bay’s simple seaside pleasures are year-round and all-season. Unwind in the gentle curve of the harbour, stretch out in wide open spaces or worship divine views from Marriner’s Lookout. Reminisce childhood holidays by the sea and browse markets brimming with locals proudly pitching local produce. Surrender to the charm with just-caught crayfish dinner in an elegant hilltop restaurant before retiring to the warmth of the wood fire at your beach side accommodation.
Out of town...
Be dwarfed by the vast, natural world. At Cape Otway Lightstation Precinct, witness the timeless wrestle between man-made history and big nature played out in incredible scenery, wildlife encounters and cultural experiences. Journey into ancient forests dripping with waterfalls, towering tree ferns, walking tracks, mountain bike trails and secluded campgrounds. The 103,000-hectare Great Otway National Park is in our backyard. Beyond, big country towns with even bigger hearts.
Some winter ready suggestions include:
- The Great Ocean Road Brewhouse - Specialising in craft beer from around the world, you can choose from over 100 beers at the Brewhouse. You can also visit their Taste of the Region produce center to browse a delicious selection of regional produce.
- Catch your own - Fishing is particularly good in the winter with beaches, rivers and oceans coming to life with full sized fish including salmon
- Whale watching - The Southern Right Whale returns to the Great Ocean Road in winter for breeding season
- Take to the hill - The ancient trees and oversize ferns of the Great Otway National Park make for great protection from the chilly wind.
- Mountain bike - Colder temperatures keep the mountain bike tracks from drying out. The more you pedal the warmer you'll be.
- The Otway Harvest Trail - Surrounding Apollo Bay are the treats of the Otway Harvest Trial. Breweries, wineries and local harvests await discovery